Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Willard Whyte

In 2007 I was given the opportunity to purchase my first stallion. We bought Willard White a two year old Haflinger stallion sight unseen from Colorado. We seen no video of him and only saw about 6 or 7 photos and had him shipped over to us.

He was and still is everything and more that we were told he would be. She said “you will love him” and we do.


If you know anything about 007 you will know the name. It was taken from the James Bond movie Diamonds are Forever starring Sean Connery. Willard Whyte was the Howard Hughes of the film being very wealthily he never left his hotel room. Needless to say I will not ruin the film for you. The name is only slightly cooler when you know where it came from it’s even better after you seen the movie. You can guess that the entire family sat down and watched it just because of the name. Although when you first hear Willard Whyte you sorta cringe. I truly do not like his name and affectionately call him Wynter. I have yet to train myself not to winch when they announce it over the loud speaker at horse shows.

In the barn he is called Wynter but he has lots of names my favorites being Wyn or Wyni. My Mom keeps telling me I’m going to give him a complex with the second one she thinks its to girly. He is also called Wyti and my best friend calls him Wynti Butt, don’t ask I have no clue where she thought that up.

In Sept 2007 Wynter was awarded the elusive Silver ribbon from an international panel of judges during the AHR inspection and classification. You can learn more about the I&C’s here. Silver ribbons are getting harder and harder for stallions to get and Wynter was able to accomplish this as a two year old. We were very very proud of him.

In Sept 2008 Wynter started his under saddle training. I wish I would have started this blog when I got him back after three months under saddle. It would have been nice to see him change but alas I didn’t. So this blog is here to log Wynter’s progress as a stallion and as a friend. He has truly grown into one of my favorite horses of all time. I will try and go over his training, shows, his foals and his breeding arrangements. As he is my first stallion he has taught me so much and I am honestly spoiled with having him. I cannot thank Sara for selling him to me enough! He is one of those once in a life time horses and I love him dearly.


So with out further ado here we go….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails