Wednesday, February 17, 2010

What is it?

Rode Wynter today yay! First I turned him out in the pen to get the bucks out I don’t know how I knew but I knew he was full of energy. I brought him out and I walked him in a circle after the circle was complete he thought he was free and decided to leap up in the air while I still had him. Well, now that was pretty rude! So he got smacked for it and gave me this look like” I’m sorry I didn’t know I was still attached!!!” I almost laughed if he hadn’t have just given me an almost rope burn.

Turning him loose he bucked and buck and galloped and galloped. Around and around he went around the pen like a Haflinger on fire. He loves his canter. After he settled down he went over to Liz and told her he was done. She was standing at the opposite end of the pen watching him with me. Tacking him up I was looking at his back and I was really happy with how it looks he is gaining muscle in his withers and I like it! His hips are also good he is getting in shape! Yay!

We stood at the mounting block for a while today and watched Liz ride Arlo around. Then for fun I lifted both reins and asked him to collect the same way I would with a curb. He did he dropped and rounded himself. He is such a good boy. I trotted him around and instantly felt something off. I just couldn’t figure it out. I rode him around for a while at the posting and sitting trot and just couldn’t peg it. It wasn’t his shoulder or really his hip it felt more like a rib cage but I just couldn’t put my finger on it. I was on the other hand able to manage it and get him to work but he was still off or funny to the left and heavy on the right rein.

His canter to the right was also pretty bad. He wanted to pop off when he wanted to and blow through the right rein which got him in a backwards motion before he could lift off. His down transition was also crap! I was really surprised at that he can usually down transition from the canter quite well. Today he just blew through the right rein and trotted off.

We did more to the right than the left lead and got the up transition pretty well corrected. I cut my losses with the down transition or I would have been at it for a while and he was being quiet. I didn’t want to get him upset trying to win a downhill battle. So I called it a night. He was pretty happy abut that. Sorry not much for today just a small work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails