Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year & Breeding

I’m getting pretty excited for the new year. First of all we will be breeding three of our mares and one outside mare that we know of. Secondly I will be starting a new riding schedule. Thirdly I will be going back to school. Although I am a little nervous about taking speech! Overall though I am excited.




Above is Afla with Mckayla Underneath.

Our three mares have been under lights since late October, getting there cycles ready for early breeding. After the sell on Mc fell through I started to get ready to breed her. The first time I seen Alfa of Genesis I knew that they would be a prefect cross. She has a longer back he has a shorter one, he has great up hill movement she has great movement he has a good neck set when she has a low one. They were the magic cross to me. When she had sold I was a little bummed out that I wouldn’t be able to she what the cross could have produced. Now that she is still here I am super excited. Mc is still for sale but as long as she does not sell by February I will be breeding her. The plan or rather the hope is that she has a filly so that I can keep her and breed her to Wynter eventually. If she has a colt he will be for sale. Needless to say what ever Mc doe shave she will be for sale. We really need a mare that can be crossed with Wynter besides Forba. Mc is the only mare in our program that is not an elementary part of our herd. Though with that being said her foals sell quite well. I also loved her 08 colt Kitt he was a very nice horse. I was very pleased with how he turned out.



Above is Wynter with Forba underneath.

Forba will be crossed with Wynter to get a full sibling to Won Chance. Chance is a very nice colt with a lot of leg. I really hope that he will be tall, he is as tall as Kitt was when Kitt was a yearling and Chance is not quite a year old yet. I’m looking forward to what his mature height will be. I think a good cross is when the foal is better than the sire or dam. A good broodmare will out produce herself. With Chance being Wynter’s first foal I have yet to decide if he is better than his sire or not. I will say that Chance is 10 fold better than his dam. This was the deciding factor about Forba. She is a very very well bred mare but has her conformational faults that I hoped Wynter would fix. Well, he did and Chance is a very nice colt who move’s better than his dam thus I will be covering her and Wynter one more time. There was a time when we had considered selling Forba but with Chance’s arrival she will not be leaving HP anytime soon. Beside most breeders say you have to do a cross three times before you can tell what is being thrown. Chance turned out great and I think that he will be a great performance horse, need it be in dressage or trail riding he has the body and legs for performance. Now if he keeps his nuts or not is an entirely other story. I am very picky on stallions and so far he is keeping his, with straight legs and good body not to talk about his presence he is stallion material. Another old saying goes a good stallion makes a great gelding also stands true. Chance could do wonders for the Haflinger breed as a gelding. Either way he will be a great horse and I would like to have more like him. Forba’s foal filly or colt will be for sale.


Above is Nickerson with Marquisse underneath.

This new year will bring on a breeding that is dear to my heart. I will be breeding Marquisse to Nickerson SSF. Marquisse is my favorite mare or rather horse of all time and breeding her is exciting yet terrifying all in one. We had tried to breed her in 06 and after 3 times we decided to call it quiets. She was just not very cooperative about breeding. This year I am slightly worried that she will do the same stuff but I am very excited to breed her. She will have a stunning foal. This foal will not be for sale, her filly will stay here to be bred to Wynter in the future and her colt will stay here to be a performance gelding. Either way I am super anxious for her foal!
With three foals tentatively on the way I will have to go through my barn and see if I have enough foal halters and blankets for three at the same time. I have a feeling I will be needing to buy a few more foal halter and I know I need foal blankets. I really need some of those foal savers from Sstack.com I love those! My trainer also let me barrow a few of hers when we had Kitt and I loved them. Ahh now I am all excited, I need to restock our foaling kit as well. Ohh there is so much to do or rather buy!

What I was trying to get at is that I am going to need name suggestions. For those not familiar with Haflinger breeding you have to name the foal with the same letter that his or her sire or dam start with. For example Toccata was bred to Arno she had a filly so we named her Tanoka, if she would have had a colt the name would have to start with a A. It is rather fun yet challenging.

We need boy names that start with W and girl names that start with F for Wynter and Forba’s cross.

We need boy names that start with N and girl names that start with M for Nickerson and Marquisses’s cross.

We need boy names that start with A and girl names that start with M for Alfa and Mckayla’s cross.

Our farm suffix is HP and will go at the end of the name I also like fun show names. I don’t care for simple names like Jazz for the registered name. I like long ones where you have to come up with nicknames. Like Night Rider who we called Kitt or Cylver Lining who we called Satin. I also name horses like Tanoka’s Debut or Won Chance. We actually named Chance backward. We named him Chance because I wanted a different name in the barn. We had never had any C’s and I thought it would be nice. We then added One for One Chance and then changed the spelling to Won Chance for spelling. I don’t even care if it is spelled correctly as long as you get the point of the name, after all it is just a name. I love naming foals!

Lastly I would like to wish everyone a happy new year! Lets get this blog rolling….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails