Thursday, January 21, 2010

Fixing Shoulders

My Dad was over today fixing a few things in the arena with his lift. This lift is on a trailer on the back of his truck so it was pretty different looking. My grandfather was also out in the pen sitting in his truck. I figured it was a great bunch of new things to look at for Wyn. This will also be the first time that I ride him since the girls rode him the other day. Ohhh man let me tell you once I was on him he got him trouble. I sit on him and he is walking. Grrrrr. He knows better. So we back for about a mile, then stand there. After that I bring him over and let him look at the objects and he was really cool about them. He sniffed the lift which I thought was really brave of him. Then we were off to work.

Bending he was still ‘loose’ in his shoulders. Hard to explain really. He was not there like normal still showing the looseness of when the girls were playing around on him. So I kept him together the best I could as we went around the trucks and lift. When Dad left I actually parked Wynter in the middle on the pen and Dad drove around us going behind Wynter. The lift made the metal bouncing sound making Wyn’s ears flicker about. I had to pet him and tell him to stand still or he would have did the happy dance ad wheel around to look at it. He didn’t though and stood a little on edge but stood as they left the pen.

Now I had to shut the arena gate. I thought he would do this ok because he had done this before but he didn’t. I pull the right door shut and it scared him. Here was this door coming at him! He had to shy away from it. Petting him I got him closer but he was a bit shaken. I figured it was my fault by asking to much of him to soon. My mistake of assuming he could handle that. We did the usual get close then step away or step step and whoa and not whoa when I needed him to. After a bit he did get it shut but it just took longer than I figured. It was my fault and I got away from the gate as soon as I could I didn’t want to over do it.

The rest of the ride was a bunch of experiments. He is still off from the girls and I had fun trying to play with that. He lost his incredible straightness so I was striving to get it back. We did canter work and he diced to be a butt a few times. He rode out a few bucks and got the show back on the road again. At the end I really hadn’t got him that warm so I worked on the straightness issue. At first I was trotting up and down the arena hitting the side wall and turning around and hitting the other side wall. Wynter managed to ram him head into the wall twice. Then I was thinking about how to pick him up a bit and thought roll backs. Trotting roll backs.

He didn’t think these were fun in the slightest! What I did was use the rail and trot between letters. We’d trot to one letter then halt back up and ‘roll’ back turning into the middle on the arena and trot off then repeated. He didn‘t like then at all and threatened to rear on me once which got him into trouble. Man he is just being a rebel lately…. We did it a few more times until he was a little fluid. Then called it a night.
We worked on his ground tying a bit and I got some photos of him.

Wynter Face
Why mom why?

Body Clip mark
Kiss of the body clippers! Wynnies butt!

I also bright him in and un tack him while ground tied and was really impressed with him. He did good and stood still. I took some photos of his back I wanted to show you. I have never had any saddle fitting problems with him until now. He is slightly underweight as he does not like our current hay and I think that is the cause. I may be going off and buying him some grain so that he gets some fat on his top line. As you can see in the photos he is getting a shadow of a white mark.

Wyn Back Right

Wyn Back Left

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails